Saturday 18 February 2017

Heavy Arms to the Starting Blocks

Its Saturday 18 Feb 2017 in Pretoria South Africa, 
and we are feeling the breezy winds coming in 
from Mozambiques' cyclone Dineo?  
Interesting name, as I have a friend called Dineo 
and she doesnt resemble any trades of a cyclone.  
As with most situations, things and people in my life, 
I have an odd sense of humour who I myself sometimes cant explain.

Fittingly, I decided to start my ONL and PBL blog 
with the title Heavy Arms, as new projects 
typically have the same start off effect on me.. 
heavy arms, heavy clouded mind 
and this all due to me not coping well with the unknown.  
I almost revert to complete procrastination 
and then rely on an impulse or initiator 
to bump me out of the high flying plane and into a decent to mother earth 
(with a parachute off course) to get my heavy arms going again. 

Exploring the ONL space on the Google+ community site 
initially felt overwhelming and confusing, 
but as I started clicking around, my arms felt lighter 
and I could start navigating my way around the site. 
 I must credit my PBL group, with being the initiator to me finding my lighter arms again, as they offered me the opportunity to introduce our group to the larger ONL community, and I decided to use the Moovly platform (never used before) so I can decent rapidly, rely on this challenge and start my online journey with a bang.  (bang is probably not the most academic word I could think of, but its weekend here :) 
Im excited to meet people across the globe, to come to grips with online mediation and to push my own boundaries.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun post! ONL means a lot of different tools and it takes time to get adjusted. There are so many new levels of the course, new people, new tools, new learning design. But it is a learning process you will remember. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you for the comment, I must admit Im very excited (feeling like a nerd) about ONL's prospects and what Im going to add to my little basket of skills

      Delete
  2. Hi Eike!
    Really enjoyed reading your blog! I totally recognise the feeling of being overwhelmed with all these new places and tools online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eike,
    Really enjoyed your blog and look forward to more posts during this time of discovery and exploration. I can relate to so much of what you said!
    With regard to getting your own students on the bus, Sian Bayne's words might help, 'We are the campus' (see https://onlineteachingmanifesto.wordpress.com/the-text/)
    Love that 'bus' image - we're all going in the same direction on a shared journey.

    ReplyDelete